Tuesday, July 18, 2017

What Are You Waiting For?

Earlier today I received a phone call for a minor test my husband has to have done this afternoon. I was notified that the facility didn't know if our insurance would require pre-authorization and therefore they could not conduct the test until that question was answered. Unfortunately the ordering doctor is on vacation and so I needed to call our insurance to find out the necessary information. Thankfully because it falls under the category of minor diagnostic procedure nothing further is needed and he can go to his appoitnment as planned.

As I am nearing the end of the book Gospel by J D Greear, he echoed this sentiment when it comes to generosity. While he talks about what is biblically prescribed, he says that we can't stop there because there are times where God delights in our spontaneous generosity. Yes, we are to follow the Spirit's leading to things we are to support regularly, but there is also a place for just because where we don't have to wait for God to give us a green light. Sometimes the green light is the overwhelming need to do it. (Examples might be a family that loses everything in a fire, a sudden expense that caught a loved one off guard, or the story on the news about the medical expense of an animal that had been abused.)

What's interesting is that prior to the phone call this morning and reading J D's words yesterday, was the sermon I heard on Sunday. During that sermon was this tweet worthy comment: Jesus doesn't call us to be roadies but to play in the band. #Boom

So often I find myself waiting and praying for specific instructions. But for what? Some great project that I am assuming God is going to assign? For the direction of what I am supposed to do with the rest of my life? The Bible is full of that information. This morning alone I was reminded that I am supposed to comfort others with the comfort I've been given, rely on God and not myself, rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances. What's more, is that in doing those things, the things I am supposed to do that I already have the instructions for, they will directly lead me to anything beyond to which I am to play a part for God's eternal purposes.

Case in point: Years ago I had a retail position. I wanted out and I wanted out bad. Truth be told, the job itself wasn't horrible. My husband and I used to work together but then he left for another company and I was MISERABLE without him there. I looked and looked but to no avail. Then, one day a customer was looking for something for his daughter that we did not carry. I grabbed the phone book (yes, this was a long time ago), called a few places, found what he needed, and sent him on his way.......BUT NOT BEFORE he said he could use someone like me in his company that was willing to go the extra mile. Recruited me right out of my job. If I had the time and space, I could start right there and tell you all the things that flowed from that one conversation that got me to where I am today.....writing about what I am reading in my Bible and books to help me live a life that follows hard after Jesus.

So here's the thing: The Great Commission, along with countless other directives, are our specific instructions. Yes, we need to be aware of the fact that we can't say yes to everything, but we also can't wait for donkeys to talk to, dry fleece on wet ground, or a voice coming from a burning bush to tell us when to hold 'em, fold 'em, walk away, or run. Not that those things can't happen, but there are only so many accounts of them. We've been given the Spirit for a reason and that reason is to walk with it confidently knowing God is leading the way.

Every so often I keep coming back to what Beth Moore asked at the Passion Conference this year. Are we brave enough to do what God has asked without it having a name? I mean, can we just be obedient to the things we know we are supposed to do that will lead us to more? Could it be that God is constantly preparing us and giving us opportunities to show ourselves faithful with little so that we can be given much?

So love your families and friends well. Serve in your talents and expect that God is doing mighty things in and through you that maybe you just don't see. And believe that you do these things in the full authority Jesus gave you, knowing he is with you wherever you go.


No comments: