Monday, December 18, 2017

Q and A

In Saturday's post, I mentioned that I started a new practice of writing out questions for myself in a journal based on what I am reading whether it's in a book or in my Bible. Yesterday the questions were coming so fast my brain actually started to hurt. And not just because it was working hard but because the questions were pretty raw.

While I am not going to share them all because I believe they are going somewhere, I do want to share one. Now remember, even though this says you this is a question I wrote directed towards myself.

If you are always begging others to just make up their mind when a choice is involved,
why do you so adamantly resist seeking God's direction for your life and not let Him
make every decision that presents itself in yours?

There is nothing, nothing, I can not stand more than indecision. If I ask my better half (and he certainly is my better half) or my children a question where they must make a choice (like what do you want for dinner), all I want is an answer. And while I am thrilled that my opinion is sought on a semi-regular basis, I really don't want to be responsible for deciding what someone else is going to wear because they aren't sure what they want to wear. I have a hard enough time figuring that out for myself.

BUT.....the question I wrote for myself remains. If I am so averse to making decisions for others and I am exhausted from trying to make decisions for myself, why on earth do I so adamantly resist seeking God's direction for my life and allow Him to make every decision that presents itself? Because the truth is the way I answer that question reveals a lot about what is in my heart and what I most believe about myself and God. And a lot of my answers weren't really pretty and they certainly weren't super spiritual. And fyi, this doesn't just apply to the big things, this applies to the little things, because it's the little things that always seem to trip me up the most. Typically I don't trip over a boulder but can absolutely faceplant over a few pebbles that make me lose my footing.

As I was mulling this over last night, I kept thinking about the fact that the Messiah was prophesied to be called Wonderful Counselor. (On a side note ~ thank you to the amazing friend that got my text and told me where that verse was in Isaiah because I was going nuts without internet trying to find it. I knew it was in Isaiah but I swear it kept moving on me and with a 66 chapter scavenger hunt underway, I really thought I was going to lose my mind.)

If Jesus is really our Wonderful Counselor, and we were to acknowledge Him as such, what does that look like in a job description?

A quick google search says counselors offer guidance to people who are dealing with issues that affect their mental health and well being.

A little further searching reveals that a counselors strong sense of compassion and commitment to helping people are the most necessary qualities for a successful career as a counselor.

And finally many counselors approach their work holistically, using a "wellness" model (as opposed to an illness one) which highlights and encourage's clients strengths.

And this is where the palm of my hand ends up on my forehead.

If Jesus was prophesied to be the Wonderful Counselor, why would we not approach Him as such? I know why I don't. Quickly it's because I am afraid He's going to say something I don't want to hear. But that reason alone is enough to make a girl realize that she knows what's really going on in her heart and what the Spirit of God is leading her to discover about herself that she doesn't want to face.

Years ago there was an episode of Saturday Night Live where Phil Hartman played Jesus and Sally Field was praying about everything. And while Sally's desire to pray about every.little.thing (including not letting her rice burn) seems a bit over the top, the fact is, if we wanted Jesus' counsel on the best way to cook rice, He would give it. Because if it's something that is affecting us, He cares about it. Even rice.

We are one week from Christmas. One week from the celebration of the baby that would be called Wonderful Counselor. He's the one with a sign that always reads The Doctor Is In. And unlike Lucy, He doesn't charge a nickel for every office visit. (although that would be a welcome co-pay these days) Let's not take for granted that we can approach Him with everything, for everything. He wants to help, He has a a strong sense of compassion and commitment, and He wants to remind us of who we are in Him to help us grow in His likeness.


No comments: