Sunday, January 15, 2017

Enough For Today

Exodus 16

I am a morning person.  I wake up at an ungodly hour, even on the weekends, and begin my day with a (mostly) standard routine.  I like predictability, I like consistency, and I like my patterns.  But what I like most is the foundation they set for the rest of the day.  By doing the things I do, I am setting myself up for success.  I'm not saying that I am guaranteeing success, I'm saying that I'm putting the probability of success in my favor.  Likewise, if I don't do the things I do, I am putting the probability of failure in my favor.

I've come to realize that if I don't put on my proverbial oxygen mask every day, the likelihood of my success in caring for those entrusted to me is poor at best.  And I think my husband and kids deserve me at my optimal performance level.  And just so you know, an optimal performance level is relative to the day.  If I wake up feeling horrid my abilities for that day will be compromised just as they would be influenced if I woke up feeling amazing.  And fyi, optimal performance level does not equal perfection.  The day I get it perfect is the day I expect Jesus to come and take me home.

In Exodus 16 after deliverance from the pursuing Egyptians, the people of God are now complaining about food and lack thereof.  It's easy to judge them because of the miracles they saw, but truthfully, we aren't really very different.  We have so much but complain about what we don't more frequently than we should.

Upon hearing their complaint the Lord speaks to Moses and says, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.  The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day.  In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."

Enough for that day.  Not too much, not too little, but enough for that day.

We live in a time where if what we have is good we think that more would be better.  But excess is excess no matter what we are talking about.  You wouldn't apply an entire bottle of hand lotion at once to immediately cure your dry, chapped hands just like you can't do 3 hours of exercise in one day to cover you for the week.  I can't do enough Bible study on Monday and think I'm covered through Saturday, I can't eat enough on Sunday that will cover me through Friday, and I can't drink enough coffee on Saturday to satisfy me through Wednesday.  You need enough for that day.  And 'that day' may not look like 'to day' and will probably be different from 'yester day'.

Our world tells us to plan for tomorrow, to be prepared for the future, and to build up storehouses of excess to make sure you always have enough.  But tomorrow might not come, the future is uncertain, and storehouses can be destroyed.  Don't misunderstand, I'm not advocating flying by the seat of our pants by any stretch. But maybe if we started to look to God to give us our daily bread and being grateful for that, we'd see how abundantly He has already blessed us with more than we could have asked or imagined.

Jesus, help us to rely on You to give us exactly what we need for today.  Whether it's food, a place to rest, or moments with our loved ones that fill us to overflowing joy.  Help us to be grateful for all we've been given today and to know that for all the tomorrows we have, You'll meet our needs there, too.  Amen.



No comments: