Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Playlist

"I"m sorry to say so
but sadly it's true
that Bang-ups
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.

You can get all hung up
in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You'll be left in a Lurch.

You'll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And chances are, then,
that you'll be in a Slump.

And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done."

Dr. Seuss, Oh The Places You'll Go

Two nights ago I told a friend that I hate living my life feeling like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. But the reality is, with a chronic illness that you absolutely have no control over, that's how a lot of your life feels. The mental battle is often significantly worse than the physical realities. Jaw pain, headaches, and waves of nausea for no reason are difficult enough but when you let it get to your thoughts, it's significantly worse.

Despite how I feel, I try to do as many things that are part of my norm as possible.....including working out. If you know me, this does not surprise you because you know that when I broke my foot, I worked out in a boot for 6 weeks. (The first week I really couldn't do anything.....after that I modified everything.) The activity, although I use that term loosely, is still good for me and believe me, there's no pushing limits right now. But what I can push is my mental capacity to deal with it all much better.

Enter "The Playlist."

Up until a few days ago I had been using my same list of songs. I like them and saw no reason at all to change things up. But then I heard this one song in particular on the radio (thank you Plumb) that just put me in a really good mood every time I heard it. So I figured maybe a little mood shift during my hated modified workouts would be good. And it has done me a world of good.

Dr. Seuss was right when he told us that unslumping ourselves is not easily done. We have to flood our minds with God's truth or what's threatening us is going to overtake us for way longer than it should. Not that we can get over everything in an instant but we don't need to let the enemy have a field day in our heads when he could be limited to one event.

So, as I shared once before, sometimes we need to give our enemy something to eat and drink. And when we stuff him with the truth of God's promises, he's not only going to get indegestion, he's probably not coming back for a second helping.

I don't know if my playlist is right for your current situation, but it's certainly helping me while I'm feeling completely out of control. Let the truth of the words in these songs rattle around until your heart catches up with your head and declares His praises in the middle of your storm.













No comments: