Friday, September 8, 2017

Wise Friends

Thank you. Thank you for being the friend that doesn't judge. Thank you for being the friend that doesn't think I should be smarter, more aware, or more intune with what's going on. Thank you for being the voice of reason, the voice that is both Biblical and objective, and the voice that can bring it all into proper perspective. While I won't say who this is, if you know me, you can probably guess. Because she really is just that smart and probably even smarter than we all give her credit for.

This morning started Bible study again. The catch 22 for me with the kids going back to school is that study starts again. I desperately want my kids home, but these women I spend Friday morning with are so astounding I can't imagine not being with them.

While the context of what we talked about today isn't relevant to the point I want to make, suffice it to say that within 5 minutes of me being home from study, I was faced with putting into action what we had just discussed. EXCEPT I DIDN'T REALIZE IT. No lie. We finished our discussion, I made a quick run to Target, and completely forgot everything we had just said. That is sad.

So, because I couldn't see the forest through the trees, I sent a message for a prayer request. Within 5 minutes my phone rang. And a discussion began where I got wise words, sound perspective, and the reminder of what we had just talked about. While she couldn't see it happen, I immediately hung my head straight down. I couldn't believe that I missed what was so clearly being asked of me. I mean if it had been a big oak tree, I'd have planted my face on the trunk of it while walking because I wouldn't have seen it. Oy.

This is why we need to never give up meeting together. We have to be accountable and we have to spur each other on to good works. We need people that remind us of the truth and what God asks us to do. Clearly we are not always the sharpest tools in the shed and will probably step on the rake to have it come up and knock us out.

So, if you are reading this and you were there this morning, pay attention. And then be thankful that my near miss was slam-dunked with an assist from whom I would consider an all-star player. And if you aren't connected with a group, I am begging you, get connected. You won't realize how much you need your sisters around you until they save you from making a huge mistake.


No comments: