Thursday, April 6, 2017

Come to Me

Since summer, the words of Jesus recorded in John 5:39-40 have haunted me. There He says:

"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them 
you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify 
about Me, yet you refuse to come to Me to have life."

Over and over and over I have rolled them around in my head, trying to figure out what that means. Granted He was talking to the religious leaders, but knowing we all have a little bit of the religious leaders in us, I know that I am included in this.

Just a few short verses after He says this, Jesus also mentions that the leaders have put their hope in Moses and that he stands as their accuser. Moses received the law and gave it to the people. This is definitely reflective of the leaders of Jesus' time. They thought the rules would get them there. But what strikes me most about this, is that during the time of Moses, the people told him to talk to God and that they would just do what He said, they didn't want to go to Him themselves. This is more me than I would care to admit. I do search my Bible so that I know how to live and what to do, but turn to Jesus? Not like I am called to.

It would seem that I am at the beginning of what is likely to be a difficult, but important, journey in my walk. There is a part of me that feels like I am about to come face to face with Jesus on the Road to Damascus. While I may be consistent in studying God's Word and wanting to live my life for Him in every aspect, that last part, about refusing to come to Him to have life, has convicted me to the core. But if during this season, scales fall from my eyes and a veil is removed, it will all be worth it to behold the glory of the One that gave His life for me.

Lord, I don't know what You are starting, but I know You will see it through to completion. I don't know how difficult this will be, but I know You will strengthen me to endure it. Help me run this race well, knowing that at the finish line is You, in a way I don't think I've ever known You before. Amen.



No comments: