Wednesday, April 19, 2017

One thing at a time

Maybe this is true only in my life, but it seems that the longer I walk with God and the more intentionally I seek Him, the more particular He gets. I wouldn't quite describe it as picky, although there are times I certainly feel like I am being picked on. I suppose that the refining process isn't meant to be pleasant though.

This morning is a perfect example of a lesson I seem to either refuse to learn or am incapable of learning. I am not made to multitask. A few years ago that was supposed to be this amazing quality we should all be aiming for in our lives and use to describe our abilities in an interview. As a mom there are times when you simply must multitask for safety purposes. But as a human trying to make it to the end of the day in one piece, this is an inherently bad idea. Why? Because typically some completely avoidable mishap occurs that ends up adding more time to fix it than if you had done one thing at a time in the first place. In turn, this creates a stress reponse consisting of negative emotions and unkind words directed towards others that are being seemingly uncooperative and completely undeserving of such behavior.

Colossians 3:17 says And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Now granted it is easy to apply this to the 'big things' like projects, or work, or volunteering opportunities. But if I can't get this down in the little things, like trying to make breakfast and then getting the coffee ready, the big things aren't even a remote possibility.

Yesterday one of the women I respect and admire most asked this: "Do we live our lives in such a way that it's always about the next thing we need to do, or do we really take the time to make sure that we're running at the pace God wants us to run?" The saddest part of that question? I only heard part of it yesterday because I was trying to do too many things at once and missed it. I just went back to the video prayer she posted to write it for you.

I don't have a clue as to why I always feel like I need to rush from one thing to the next, or get myself involved in too many things at the same time, but I've been doing this for a long time. And frankly I'm exhausted. Maybe it's because I feel like I don't measure up or that I'm not enough. Maybe it's because I think I should have done more, accomplished more, or been more to more people up to this point in my life. Or maybe it's because I feel like there is never enough time to get it all done. Whatever the reason is, if I'm not moving at God's pace, I'm guaranteed to crash and burn. And that's an avoidable mishap I don't want to occur.

I don't know if this resonates with you, but if it does, perhaps we can help each other slow down. Feel free to leave a tip in the comments about steps you've taken or things you've found that have helped you stop running an endless race. We were never made to behave like the Energizer bunny that just kept going. Maybe it's time to stop pretending we're him.

Father, You have made it clear that I'm trying to run faster than You want me to, but slowing down has never been easy for me. I know You know that because You made me. I pray that You would show me, and anyone reading this, how to stay in step with You.  You've created individual races for each of us to run and there aren't any time trials here to disqualify us. Give each of us the rest we so desperately need from our frantic, over-scheduled lives, and help us to focus on doing one thing at a time. Amen.


No comments: