Monday, October 16, 2017

Getting Better

The Set Up:

Who: Mom + Man-child
What: books and movies to return
Where: the library
When: after dropping the kids off at school
Why: easier now than later
How: in a bag, in the car, on the front seat

The Reality:

Bag in the car ✔
Kids dropped off ✔
Driving towards library✔
Turn to go home instead of turn into the library ✔

It seems to me that I have always had this notion that I should be better than I am, more capable than I am, more able than I am. But the reality is, if I was, I wouldn't need God.

A couple days ago I read something that quoted Psalm 119:11.


In case you missed it, read it again.....slowly and carefully. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. 

The question I keep rattling around in my brain is why I expect perfection. I know in my head that it isn't possible. For heaven's sake, I had a large green bag on the seat next to me in the car and couldn't remember to return its contents to the library, but I expect perfection when it comes to other things? The things that really, truly matter? 

Sometimes I think we miss cues, forget what we've been taught, and fail to follow through because it's God's way of reminding us just how desperately we need him. And not from a place of punishment and condemnation, but from a place of love and grace. To remind us that it's okay to not be perfect because he's never said that he expects perfection.

So what if we take the might not and pray against our weaknesses? What if we willingly take an honest assessment of where we tend to fall short more often than not and intentionally seek God on why we keep tripping over that particular stumbling block? Is it possible that he might reveal something that's stuck inside our hearts that's squeezing him out?

Everyday we have things that compete for our time and attention. My fear is that we are putting the majority of it towards things that aren't as important as we think. 

God willing, this week I am going to focus on a verse that I believe can help us overcome some of our greatest temptations, Romans 6:17.

But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey
from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.

I want us to seek God fearfully in where we are losing to the enemy, I want us to find the truths of Scripture that we can claim and pray over our lives to thwart the enemies efforts, and I want our hearts to be claimed by allegiance that is born from a love of God that leaves little doubt as to what we will do when faced with a choice. 

Will we get it perfect? No. But we will get better.



No comments: