Friday, October 13, 2017

In, On, or Over?

I don't know if it's really true that God works in themes in our lives or not, but there seem to be two concepts that are coming up so continually in my reading, that I don't have a choice but to believe that God is trying to make a point.

My themes: Obedience and The Yoke

My two biggest problems:

1. 9 years ago my doctor told me the best thing I could do for myself was to walk 30 minutes a day. I did that for about a month. And then I started running, adding other crazy workouts, and anything else I could find to do that I thought would help. Clearly that has not worked out well for me.

2. I keep resisting the things I know would be most beneficial. Why? Because I am incredibly stubborn, I don't partciularly like asking for or receiving help, and I have a ridiculous amount of pride. My thought has always been I will do it myself, even if it ends up harming me, because I don't want to put the burden on someone else. Just ask my husband. He'll tell you just how stubborn I can be and usually am.

As I continued reading in Nehemiah this morning, I noticed the same three words in succession again: commands, regulations, and decrees. And then I read about obedience through faith in the she works His way devotional app. And while the lights were already on, someone apparently just got home.

I realized that the commands, regulations, and decrees of God are purposeful, protective, and proactive. He put them out there not just to get us out of the trouble he knew we'd find ourselves in, but to prevent us from getting in it in the first place.

I learned in the app that obedience through faith is about being so convinced that God wants what is best that I don't desire an explanation (thank you for that Michelle Myers). What I learned about myself is that by constantly seeking the explanation I am trying to make sure I'm not doing what I've clearly been told to do for nothing, because in my heart, I really don't want to do it.

I have reached a point where I have to accept that I live more of my life on the line or over the line than I have ever WILLINGLY lived inside the line even though that's where I'm safest.

As I finished my quiet time this morning, I came up with some simple addition:

Romans 1:5 + 2 Chronicles 16:9 + Hebrews 12:2 = A Psalm 16:6 Attitude.

If we have obedience that comes from faith, and God looks for hearts fully committed to him to strengthen their faith, and he is the author and perfecter of our faith, then the boundary lines are going to look mighty appealing. And guess what? Things will be better because of it.

Because God has a great sense of humor, the Friday morning Bible study I attend is starting a new session this morning titled Guardrails and it's all about boundaries. Coincidence? I think not.

We all have things we are being called to do. I am obviously being called to a season of rest and probably have been for the last 6 months. And while I'm not saying this 'flare' is a punishment for my lack of obedience, I would say knowing what I know about my body and my illness, it is a very logical consequence. And if God is purusing me this intently by repeating the same things I have ignored up to this point, I really need to bend the knee and submit.

We've probably all been around long enough to have seen our obedience pay off with grace and blessings we know we certainly didn't deserve. So instead of delaying further, let's pray to see the boundaries he is setting with the commands, regulations, and decrees he is giving, and with the obedience that comes from faith, submit for the sake of his name and glory.


No comments: