Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Learning Curve

Things you could say about me......

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed
                        I am a few fries short of a Happy Meal
                                             I am a few cards short of a full deck

You get the point.

There are days when my mind is so cloudy and foggy, I feel like I would be grasping at straws to remember my own name. On days like that, the thought of writing is often completely overwhelming. It's almost as bad as driving in a torrential downpour. But God.....faithful, fully prepared, filled with grace, mercy, and compassion.

Yesterday was retest day. Every other Monday for another month and a half, I make an appointment to have my numbers checked. Again. I'll be honest, it's getting old. And while it's not horribly expensive as an independent test, the recurring nature of it is certainly adding up.

Anyway.

I went on to the LabCorp website to see if by some miracle my labs had been processed with lightning speed. No such luck. But I did see that an invoice was ready to be paid. For $457.00. Start palpitations and worst case scenario freak-out.

My first thought was that it wasn't covered because of how frequently I have to go right now. This has me ready to scream. But reason starts to settle in and I think, check the EOB online and see what's up. And there it was. The most obvious blunder possible. Somehow this claim got processed and said that the patient (me) was not covered at the time of service. Um, no. One phone call + a short time on hold = a claim being reprocessed correctly and a $20 copay. And the sigh of relief comes.

So what can we learn about me and my enormous learning curve?

When it comes to anything that catches me off guard, I go worst.case.scenario faster than a jumping spider moves out of the way of an incoming tissue.

I panic before I check to see what the root cause of the problem is.

I am incredibly impatient. (I knew there was no way my labs would be ready today.)

I hate when things are unresolved. (Even though I know this will be fixed, it still isn't.)

But something also quite wonderful occurred to me about how we can apply this unhappy little accident to our lives.

When the enemy comes a knockin' with his lies and accusations, all we need to do is pull out our adoption certificate and remind him that we were fully covered at the time of the claim. Because we have to face the truth that he's better at creeping up on us than we realize, and he's going to strike at every opportunity he gets to cause fear and panic. So let's get in the habit of calling him a punk, reminding him who's got our back, and telling him that his time is running out.



On a really funny sidenote, I just got the mail.....in it was the paper bill for $457.00. I think I'll hashtag it #Adopted and #FullyCovered
                                                                               

No comments: