Monday, June 5, 2017

Divine Setup

1 Peter 4:12-13
Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on
to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice
inasmuch you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may 
be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

It's late. I'm exhausted from a day of cleaning, washing clothes, going up and down stairs, running kids to and from school, helping with homework (yes five days before school is out), and trying to work on a project of my own. As you might imagine, I have been feeling a bit frazzled.

But a little while ago, while I waited to put in a load of laundry, I decided to make use of my time and read. Not so coincidentally, I read this quote.

Every time fear freezes and worry writhes, every time I surrender to stress, 
aren't I advertising the unreliability of God? That I don't really believe?
Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts

Prior to this quote, Ann shared some personal things that were the beginnings of her deepest, yet faulty, beliefs. So many of them spoke to me in similarity, not content. But this quote, applicable to both of us, startled me awake when I most wanted to take a nap. Why? Because I never want to be the poster child of the unrealiability of God to my husband, my kids, or anyone who knows me. Because if I have learned anything in my life so far, it's that God is absolutely the most reliable source of everything.

When I chose my memory verse for the week, I had no idea what the day was going to bring, but I knew what had been brewing in my heart over the past 48 hours. And as I chose something to cling to for the next seven days, it has a much deeper meaning now, after I've read. Because the truth is, any fiery ordeal we endure, will leave us nothing but immensely overjoyed when the glory of Jesus is revealed on the other side of it. And with an incredible degree of certainty, I can say that I have expereinced yet another divine set-up by the God who loves me too much to leave me where I am.

Father, I sometimes wonder why you put up with me. I waver so much back and forth between remembering all you have done and then living like you've done nothing. Thank you for shaking me awake with the reality of what my actions and emotions speak. Teach me to sing songs of praise and to silence the whispers of doubt. I love you. Amen.


No comments: