Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Four to One

Today was the first day our son participated in the summer cross country conditioning program. When I picked him up at the end of practice he had a paper with a workout schedule, what he needed to bring with him for practice, and the exercises he needs to do for strength and mobility. It was amusing to read some of the exercises simply because I've seen the way he looks at me when I grunt through several of them. I imagine he's going to understand sooner than later.

One of the things he's supposed to bring with him is a snack for the end of practice. The snack is supposed to have a ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein. Unfortunately for a kid with limited interest in exploring new foods, I knew this was going to be a little more challenging for me to find something he'll eat. Needless to say, he'll be trying a 'complete cookie' this Friday for the first time. Say a prayer it goes well.

He asked me what the reason was behind the ratio. Truthfully, I don't have a clue because I'm not a nutritionist. I eat healthy and I try to keep my ratios in order with proteins, fruits, veggies, carbs, and healthy fats, but what the specific purpose of 4:1 is in recovery from a workout, I'm clueless. But as I sit here and think about it, I have to wonder if we would do well to implement the same strategy in our recovery efforts with God.

For everything that God has either delivered me through or from, I am not always great at remembering what he's done, how far he's brought me, or that an actual healing has taken place. There are some things that still trigger the same conditioned and fearful response I've always had, while others have been so settled with God they now roll away like water off a ducks back. (Those are the ones I am beyond grateful for because they were the worst of the worst.) But I can't help but wonder if there is a way to remember better.

When we're going through something difficult, we tend to have verses or passages of Scripture that we cling to and read so many times it's a miralce the words don't disappear off the pages from constant use. But when we come out the other side of it do we ever think to find the Scriptures that are the promises that were fulfilled through it? I know I haven't. But what if we did? 

What if we kept a record of God's faithfulness to his word when we come out on the other side of the Red Sea that we just crossed on dry land? What if we wrote down all the ways he saw us through, the blessings that resulted, and the healing that happend in our minds? What if we reminded ourselves constantly of just how good God has been BEFORE the next difficult thing happens? What if we had a running log of all the pieces of our heart that he picked up and put back where they belong and a tally of the little moments, words of encouragement, and songs that we heard at just the right time. What if?

I suppose coming to the end of reading all the pslams and One Thousand Gifts has opened my eyes to the possibility of a new way of living. I think about all the times it is written to remember, and the dangers of what happens when we forget, that has made me realize that the fullest life only comes when we live in communion with Jesus remembering and celebrating what he did for us on the cross and what he does to strengthen us every day.

I don't know what I'll be writing to remind myself of all the ways he's loved me. But I do know that I will be writing something because I don't want to live the rest of my life forgetful or in the conditioned responses I've clung to for far too long. I'd much rather relive every moment he's come through and saved me than rehash what I had to go through to find out if he would. And who knows, maybe I'll end up with four promises fulfilled for every one trial endured.

Jesus, the things you have healed in my heart and mind over the last year, especially the past 6 months, are nothing short of miraculous. And the ways you have done it has been nothing short of spectacular. Help us all to see the fulfillment of your promises to us in the trials we endure to see your glory revealed. Show us how to hold on to all the blessings and evidence of your grace rather than the pain of the fire we felt. Put a song in our mouths that sings your praises for all the ways you have shown us your power so that we might proclaim your name in all the earth. We love you and are thankful for all the ways you show your love to us. Amen.


No comments: