Monday, April 30, 2018

Practically Speaking

From the time I was little my love language has been music. I couldn't have identified it as such, but I can see it looking back. Nothing can motivate (or demotivate) me faster than a song. Nothing.

Anyway, the other day I read Psalm 68. In the CSB, a portion of verse 6 reads He leads out prisoners to prosperity. Of course that sounds questionable until you look up the Hebrew word and find out that prosperity means freedom. Some of the other translations speak specifically about chains being broken and lives being productive. But what caught my eye was the note at the bottom of the CSB which says prisoners with joyous music.

Now, I am all for a good playlist. And I will be the first to admit that I can know what is true, but can still own that there is something in me that resists the truth. I think it has something to do with being a Type A control freak. You know, it's better for me to worry about it because then it's like I am handling it by fretting about it endlessly which in turn makes me a really pleasant persont to be around. (Please read with sarcasm that drips like too much syrup on a pancakes as it flows everywhere, including down your shirt.)

But I don't want to be like that. And if I am learning anything, it's that sometimes we are asked to take practical steps that force us to think about things differently. So, I did what any normal, music loving girl would do: I made a playlist. Even titled it Psalm 686.

Now, I am going to pretend that I am not the only one that deals with things that are hard to overcome. (FYI, I currently have a sticker chart going in my planner for a 21 day fast I am doing trying to break my sugar habit. Not that sugar is bad or that it can't be enjoyed in moderation, but I've always been of the mentality that if one tastes good, fifteen taste better.) 

So assuming you might want a playlist you can harmonize with God as He joyously sings you out to freedom, here it is:

1. Mended by Matthew West

2. Masterpiece by Danny Gokey

3. Shoulders by for King & Country

4. I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe

5. I Am Free by Newsboys (live Texas version)

6. Control by Tenth Avenue North

7. Come to the Table by Sidewalk Prophets

8. You're Worthy of My Praise by Jeremy Camp

9. Limitless by Colton Dixon

10. Glorious Day by Passion

11. Lay Me Down by Chris Tomlin

12. Breathe by Jonny Diaz


And here's an intersting thought......music is what helped Saul from going cray cray. Maybe we have a little bit of his tendencies in us and we need to see music as the gift it is. If the angels are constantly singing in God's presence, we know music is in heaven. And if things on earth are to be as they are in heaven, maybe it's time we start realizing God has given us a gift we have seriously undervalued.

 

No comments: