Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks ~ Day Nineteen

Growing up, I hated to read. Like, H-A-T-E-D it. As a matter of fact, I didn't even consider the possibility that I might like to read until college when a friend gave me a Sidney Sheldon book as a gift.  (Master of the Game in case you were wondering.) That book sparked something in me I didn't know was there. After I finished it, I went on a reading rampage. Sadly it was all Danielle Steele, but I was devouring books like Cookie Monster devours cookies.

After my Danielle Steele days saw their close (I was really ticked at the ending of The Ranch), I moved on to most of the other books Sidney Sheldon wrote and then found Mary Higgins Clark. That girl can write. But then came kids and reading disappeared for a long time. Not the love of it, but the motivation (and ability to stay awake) to do it.

Then, late in 2016, I decided to embark on a journey of books. I was kind of frustrated with where I was in life and figured that there may be a book or two that might help me. Not necessarily from a 'self-help' perspective, but more like a friend writing down what they've gone through with God over various circumstances and the willingness to share their experience in case it might help someone else. Needless to say, I've read a few books this year. (The reading list is on the side.) Each of these works has imparted something that has absolutely left a mark on my heart and in my life. But the beauty doesn't end there.

Each of these books has sparked change in my life that has been on display in post after post on this blog. And these books didn't end with me because everything that has helped me I have passed on. Why? Because we all need someone who's willing to say what's really going on in their heart so that we feel less alone, can openly admit me too, and realize there is hope.

Weird as this might sound, in Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix movie, Luna Lovegood says to Harry Potter, "Well, if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else; because if it's just you alone, you're not as much of a threat." Call me crazy but He Who Must Not Be Named sounds a lot like the father of lies.

Today I'm thankful for the book that showed me I love to read and to all the people that have written books sharing their stories in hopes that God can use it to bring Himself glory and help those of us who realize we need someone who's gone before us down a hard road. Our stories matter. We may not think they do, we may be tempted to believe they can't help anyone, and we might really want to keep them hidden. But bringing them into the light not only shines the power and glory of God, but it brings us to the truth that we are never, ever alone.


No comments: