Thursday, March 2, 2017

Unending Love

A few days ago I got an email to remind me of the things my daughter needs to have done before the beginning of next school year.  It's sad that I have to think about that when this school year isn't even over and we haven't yet enjoyed our summer relaxing, recharging, and re-membering our weary selves at the pool.  Thankfully I was proactive last year and had part of it done which only left one requirement to be filled.  The dental exam.

As a mom who tends to forget things, I wrote it in my planner that I had to take the form with me when we went for our 6 month check up.  I printed it earlier that day, folded it, put it in my purse, and had it with me during our appointment.  The problem is that it stayed in my purse the entire time and come home as blank as it went in.  Needless to say, I had to make a trip back to the office to have it filled out and stamped.

This is sometimes how I feel about my faith.  I know it's there but I don't always exercise it.  It might be endlessly available, but if I don't rely on what I know to be the truth in the moment I need it most, it can't do a thing to help, support, or encourage me.  It has to come out to be of value and fulfill its purpose.

The same is true for the gift God has given us through His Spirit.  Romans 8:11 says, "And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of His Spirit who lives in you."  We have a power inside of us that is beyond anything we can comprehend with our limited minds, but we don't exercise, utilize, or realize what it enables us to do.  It is the manifestation of the warning to have a form of godliness but denying its power.

As I went through yesterday with an inked cross on the inside of my wrist, it served as the visual reminder I so desperately needed to remember what I have access to.  It kept me grounded in a way I haven't been in a long time.  It wasn't something mystical or magical but something tangible to bring me back to what reality is, not what I perceive it to be.  It was the reminder I desperately needed to take my thoughts captive, hold them up to the truth of God's word, and make them obedient to Christ. It was nothing short of amazing.

God has given us gifts that we just don't think to use as often as we should.  For me, it's because I've compartmentalized when I'm supposed to access them.  I think of it during my study time, I think of them when I'm praying, I think of them when I'm speaking words of encouragement, but just as I go about my day?  Hardly ever.  I might not be a theological genius, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what God had in mind when He gave us the gifts of His word and Spirit.

I don't know right now if I'll continue to ink this cross after Easter, but I do know that it has given me a taste of what's possible.  And if yesterday is any indication of how my thoughts and behaviors can be impacted by a visual reminder made with a sharpie, I think I might be doing this for the long haul.

Father, I have taken for granted things You have given me that You knew I would need and I am sorry.  I praise You for the way in which You revealed to me that something as simple as drawing the cross on my wrist can be powerful.  I want to rely on You, Your strength, the faith You are growing in me, and Your word more consistently.  Thank You for always loving me too much to leave me where I am and enough to get my attention to what You want me to know.  Amen



No comments: