Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Where Hope Belongs

When my kids come home from school Monday through Thursday, there is a standard routine in place.  Lunch boxes must be put on the kitchen counter immediately so they can be emptied and the reusable parts washed so I can prepare the next day's lunch.  On Friday, however, the lunch boxes are put in the same place but the water bottles, thermos, and sandwich container go in the dishwasher because I don't need to pack lunch again for 2 days.  Friday's make me happy.

Yesterday, in anticipation of what was supposed to be a spectacular snow event with the promise of a delay, if not a cancellation, I put all the things in the dishwasher thinking I would not need them again until tomorrow.  Unfortunately after watching the 6 o'clock news, I soon realized I was probably being optimistic.  There seemed to be a back peddling on the severity of the weather. Needless to say, we woke up to no snow.  Not a dusting, not flurries in the air, no snow at all.  My heart sank.

While the older of my two was reasonably okay with the reality of a regular school day, the younger one and I were devastated.  I desperately wanted a pajama day, snuggled under blankets, taking a nap, watching a movie, and not feeling guilty to be completely unproductive.  I cleaned yesterday and did 3 loads of laundry in anticipation of this relaxing day.  Needless to say, it's snowing now but it's about 6 hours too late and it's not going to last or accumulate to much of anything.

Yes, I am slightly irritated with the epic fail of the forecast.  But, like I've learned so many times before, faith put in human flesh and blood is likely headed toward disappointment.

As I woke this morning to find the ground uncovered and my car absent of layered, white beauty, I did open my Bible and find that God's promises still rang true. Regardless of how our hopes may be dashed by the world, our hope in Him is never misplaced, misguided, misdirected, or misapplied.  It's always exactly where it should be.

While Snowmaggedon 2017 is a bust for today, winter is not over, God is still able, and my hope remains vibrant in Him.  Because the reality is, He is the One in charge of the storehouse and if He really needed it in our corner of the world today, He'd have delivered it exactly as predicted.


No comments: