Sunday, May 14, 2017

Ask, not do

This is going to be a very disjointed post because I can not figure out how to write this other than directly from the notes I took today reading John 20. In light of that knowledge, I pray that this blesses and challenges you as much as it has me.

The Exchange:

v.14: At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize it was Jesus.

v.15: He asked her, "Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?"

The Question:

How many times do I turn and not realize Jesus is standing right in front of me?

The Realization: 

If God is using us to be the hands and feet of Jesus, when we meet someone in their deep need, joy, fear, sadness, anger, etc. we are just like Jesus when He asks, "Why are you crying?" The opposite is also true when they are there for us. This is not limited to believers alone because God can use anyone! We are ALL made in His image.

The Unexpected Revelation:

Jesus used questions as His most effective tool. When we consider 'what would Jesus do?' we must first discern 'what would Jesus ask?' He wants us to think because it forces us to examine the thoughts and attitudes of our heart!

Examples:

What do you seek?  (John 1:38)
Woman, what does your concern have to do with  me? (John 2:4)
Are you the teacher of Israel and do not know these things? (John 3:10)
Do you want to be made well? (John 5:6)
Are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? (John 7:23)

Jesus asks questions because He knows we believe in our hearts but confess with our mouths. If faith comes by hearing, we must talk about what we believe and encourage others to do that as well. The best way to get someone to talk about it? Ask a question.

I don't know if this means anything to you, but it is shaking me up quite a bit. I want to be His hands and feet to others and I need to see others as His hands and feet to me. I want to quit turning around not realizing He's the one standing right in front of me. I want to be still long enough to hear His questions and then answer them. Join me?


No comments: