Sunday, May 21, 2017

Covering all the Bases

A little while ago, inspired by what our worship pastor prayed before he preached, I started praying through the book of Ephesians before I would do my quiet time. I fell out of the habit because my prayers became more specific before I would read, but I'm going back to it because it covers every base possible. If you have never prayed Scripture, it is as simple as taking a verse and turning it into a plea, claiming it as a promise, or declaring it over a situation. 

That said, I am going to share my Ephesians based prayer with you to start your week. If you struggle with praying at all (and I think a lot of us do otherwise there wouldn't be so many books written about how to pray) please consider starting with this and using it every day this week. I think you might be surpised by the peace and power that starts overflowing in and through you.

Father, I ask that you would give me the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I can know
you better. I pray that you would enlighten the eyes of my heart so that I can know the hope to 
which you have called me, the riches of your glorious inheritance in the saints, and your 
incomparably great power for me as a believer. You work in me the same power that  raised
Jesus from the grave.

Lord, you have saved me by grace through faith so that I have no room to boast. You have made
me your handiwork and prepared in advance the things You want me to do. Help me die to 
self and live for you.

I pray that out of your glorious riches you would strengthen me with power through Your 
Spirit so that Christ will dwell in my heart through faith. I pray that You would root and 
establish me in love to grasp how wide and long, and high and deep, is the love of Christ
and to know this love that surpasses all knowledge that I may be filled to the measure
of all the fullness of You.

Father, You are able to do immeasurably more than all I can ask or imagine. As a prisoner
for You, I pray that you would help me to live a life worthy of the calling I have received.
Teach me to be completely humble, gentle, patient, and bearing with others in love.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of my mouth but only what is helpful
for building others up according to their needs, that it would also benefit anyone listening.
Do not let me grieve the Spirit that You have sealed me with. Rid me of all bitterness,
rage, anger, brawling, slander, and every form of malice. Help me to be kind and compassionate
and to forgive others just as You have forgiven me.

Lord, You have taken me out of darkness to be a light for You. Do not let me have anything 
to do with fruitless deeds. Help me to be careful how I live, not as unwise, but as wise,
making the most of every opportunity because the days are evil.

Finally, make me strong in You and in Your mighty power. Put on me Your armor so that
I can take my stand against the devil's schemes. Remind me that I am not fighting against
flesh and blood but against the rulers, authorties, and powers of this dark world, and the 
spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Make me stand firm with the belt of truth
around my waist, the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with my feet ready and 
fitted with the gospel of peace. Place in my hand the shield of faith to extinguish all the
flaming arrows of the evil one. Put on my head the helmet of salvation to protect my 
mind from any negative thoughts and to knock sense into me when needed. Arm me with 
the sword of the Spirit, that can penetrate even joints and marrow and will judge
the thoughts and attitudes of my heart. Hear my prayers and requests on all occasions.
Remind me that you are always with me and give me the words I need to speak
the gospel boldly and fearlessly. It's in the precious, holy, and powerful name of Jesus I pray.
Amen.


No comments: