Sunday, November 20, 2016

Welcome to My House

John 2:13-17  Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.  And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep, and doves, and the money changers doing business.  When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen, and poured out the changers' money and overturned the tables.  And He said to those who sold doves, "Take these things away!  Do no make My Father's house a house of merchandise!"  Then His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up!"

Father, You have made Your home in my body.  Your word says my body is Your temple.  Forgive me for the times I've not used it to honor and glorify You above all else.  Help me not only to treat what You have given me with the greatest care and honor but to help others do the same toward themselves and others as well.  Bodies were never meant to be sold or used to sell things that do not have eternal value.  Make my focus clear that it's not about size, definition, appearance, or anything else temporary, only the ability to love and serve others well, being capable because You have made my body strong and able.

Father when temptation comes my way to wander off course in how I care for my body, remind me that the battle waged in my heart and mind offsets Your purpose because I will not treat myself or others the way You intend, but out of reaction to how I feel because of poor decisions, lack of commitment, and a failure to rely on Your strength in a moment of weakness.  Remind me that the thorn You have placed in my side should be celebrated as a constant symbol of Your love and desire to see me through any fiery trial.  Help me to rely on Your promises and to seek Your way out of any distraction that threatens to pull me away from my greatest purpose:  honoring You with every part of me.  Amen.



No comments: